Expected functionality of an oil flow in an engine is that of: oil is picked up from the oil pan by the oil pump, passed into the oil filter and into the filter element, the filtered oil is then fed into the engine and then the oil is disposed back to the oil pan.
In the oil filter there is an oil bypass valve, when active, this will send the oil past the filter element:
1) Cold oil have viscosity so high that filtering isn’t possible since the filter cannot clean oil that thick. If the bypass valve wasn’t there the engine would not get any lubrication until working temperature was reached.
2) The same will happen during high engine revolution or stress – to protect the engine the filtering of oil is bypassed since it would not have possibility to filter all the oil that the engine require to stay lubricated.
3) Oil filters can also stop functioning all together when it’s full of debris. If the oil bypass valve weren’t there the engine would not get any lubrication at all.
A magnetic oil plug catch part of engine shavings and in the cases 1 - 3 it’s the only thing that clear the oil of metal particles.
When choosing a magnetic plug we suggest you compare quality in:
Material - Magnetpro© plugs are made in marine grade (SUS316) stainless steel - It will withstand long term use and abuse.
Tools needed - Magnetpro© plugs use mm-sized tools with larger tool width - Less chance of tool slippage that damage the plug, tool, surroundings or you.
Magnetic strength - Magnetpro© plugs use large high grade magnets - A stronger magnet will result in a larger magnetic field that catch more metal particles.
In order to protect your engine it’s important to:
• Use good quality oil
• Use good quality oil filter
• Change both with the interval recommended by your manufacturer
To provide additional protection it’s suggested to also install a magnetic oil plug - It will also protect the oil pump since it’s not subject to equal amounts of metal particles
In a gearbox or differential the Magnetpro© oil plugs stop metal particles to move around together with the gear or differential oil. Some gearboxes already have magnetic oil plugs but the magnets in them are usually weaker then the Magnetpro© magnetic oil plug.
Finnish Rallycross team Flying Low Motorsport use Magnetpro© in their gearboxes:
SUS316 mechanical properties:
© Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved.